By using this website, you acknowledge that you have received notice of this policy.
In order to supply you with our services, we need some information from you. The types of personal information we collect from you will depend on the circumstances in which you provide your personal information and the type of telco and energy service that you have requested from us.
In general, the personal information that we may collect about you includes, but is not limited to your name, your contact details (including phone numbers, email addresses and physical address) and your banking details.
If you provide personal information to us about another person (such as a spouse or relative) then you are responsible for making that individual aware that you have disclosed their personal information to us and that we can use their information as set out in this policy. Please direct them to this policy. If you choose not to provide us with your personal information then we may not be able to provide you with our services.
Uses of personal information
Unless we have your permission (or it is otherwise required by law) your personal information will only be used by us for purposes related to supplying you with our services, including, but not limited to:
- 1. confirming your identity, creditworthiness and other aspects of our assessment of your application to become a customer, or to continue to supply you with our services;
- 2. contacting you with updates and news regarding our website, our products and services;
- 3. enabling third parties to provide you with information about our products and services;
- 4. invoicing, account maintenance and on-going credit control activities; and
- 5. improving our customer services and for carrying out market research.
You may, at any time, elect not to receive marketing or promotional emails from us.
Protection of personal information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information we collect, use or disclose is secure, accurate and up to date and is protected against loss, theft and unauthorised use or modification.
- 1. our related companies;
- 2. agents who are responsible for carrying out, on our behalf, any of the purposes’ listed above, including our associated network or metering companies;
- 3. the Electricity Authority, the Commerce Commission, the Electricity and Gas Complaints Commissioner Scheme, or any other industry regulator, industry body or complaints scheme;
- 4. credit risk assessment agencies (credit reporters) / debt collection agencies; and
- 5. other energy retailers.
Also, if you have told us, or it appears to us, that you are reliant on electricity to prevent a clear threat to your health and wellbeing or you have mains powered critical medical equipment, we may also disclose your personal information to Work and Income, District Health Boards and other social agencies and private healthcare providers.
Where we disclose your personal information to third parties for the above purposes, this will be on a strictly confidential basis.
Updating your personal information
You have the right to seek access to and to update the personal information that we hold about you. If you make an access request we will ask you to verify your identity. If you would like to seek access to personal information that we hold about you or if you have any questions of complaints about how we collect, use, disclose, manage or store your personal information, you can contact us.
Links to other websites
Our website provides links to other websites for your convenience and assistance. If you use these links then you will leave our website. Please note that these websites may have different security and privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility and/or any liability for any information that you divulge to these websites and how these websites or the organisations that own and manage those websites may collect or use your personal information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of these websites.
We may gather more extensive information if we are concerned about activities on our website, for example, abnormal website usage patterns or attempted website security breaches.
Google Analytics uses automated tools and methods (including by issuing cookies from their own servers), to track information about visitors to our website. This means that when you visit this website, these automated tools and methods will collect and transmit anonymous information about you, your use of and interactions with, this website and the internet to Google’s data collection servers. Megatel then receives aggregated forms of this data. If you want more information regarding Google Analytics, please review How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps
Megatel currently uses the following Google Analytics Advertising Features:
- Remarketing: This feature enables Megatel and other third parties, to show Megatel’s advertisements to you, while you browse the web, based on your previous visits to Megatel’s website and your interests.
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting or DoubleClick Campaign Manager: This feature reports on the interaction between you, Megatel advertisements on the web generally and your visits to this website so as to enable us to assess how effective our advertisements are.
- Demographics and Interest Reporting: This feature collects demographic information about you (age, gender and interests) to enable us to analyse behaviour by attribute and (if we choose to utilise Google’s Remarketing feature in the future) enable targeted interest-based website advertising to you.
To find out how you can control the information that is shared by your web browser when you visit or interact with Google services on partners sites on the web, please see the information on the Google partners’ privacy page. Alternatively visitGoogle’s Analytics opt-out page.
We may from time to time and at our discretion review and update this policy, including taking account of any change in law, new technology and/or changes to our operations. All personal information held by us will be governed by the most recent policy. Any changes will take effect immediately once they are posted on our website. We will also specify the date of the last update.
This terms is current as of 03 Feb 2020
Return to the previous page